Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Deck is 63% Completed.

Don't doubt my numbers, I'm a professional. Everything under the deck has been glassed, sanded, and gel coated. Stringers are installed and the plywood (not pictured) for the outside 2 feet of deck has been fit. The boat is looking good, check out the post from February 23rd. I'm going to say all the plywood decking is screwed down by Tuesday at 2:30pm. Possibly optimistic but its good to have goals. Dan Jr. and Jeff are responsible for most of the work on the 36' Calvin this week. Jeff's woodworking skills mixed with Dan Jr.'s fiberglassing skills, the perfect team. The exhaust parts left for Lewiston (Infab) today and the exhaust wrap should be done next week. Once the exhaust parts return the muffler can be installed and the boat can be finished. The reconditioned propeller returned from H & H, just like new at a fraction of the price.

The center console, as promised, completed. I was able to glass and sand it very quickly because the fiberglass was kicked in about 9 minutes. With an outside temperature of 33 degrees it was near 80 degrees at the top of the shop. I started messing around with instrument placement, no cool spot for anything. There will be a series of compromises until a functional arrangement can be made. Still waiting on the fiberglass angle that we ordered last week to arrive so the fly bridge hatches can be completed. Getting the console finished was a good step to take, I should be able to putty and finish sand it tomorrow. The steering cylinder arrived today, it is enormous, and in the words of the salesman "bulletproof". If I can get the owner to make some decisions on the captain's chairs the building on this boat can be completed and the finishing stage can begin.

SHOP NEWS SHOP NEWS SHOP NEWS.

Moved some boats around...... "Mirage" outside "Deduction" inside building A.

John made another stainless steel cage. Otto sanded the hull of "Miss Hannah"

Clay was across the driveway again, and I already told you about the two boats in the main shop.

A small boat arrived for repairs, Dan talked to the owners, I'm not sure what needs to be done.

How many more of these do I need to write? Am I still one behind? Would you order Clark Island Boat Works merchandise if it was available? Are any of you interested in buying a boat? Will ending a post with 6 questions lead to more comments?

8 comments:

Tower Todd said...

Yes

Clark Island Boat Works said...

how many t-shirts should i put you down for?

Dan B said...

I think you still owe 5 additional posts for all the late posts...
I'd buy a shirt and/or a coffee mug.

Dan B said...

that console came out awesome, btw.

Anonymous said...

I want a CIBW tee! Sign me up, where can I get one, why don't I have one already. I don't think you should stop blogging - post at least three times a week. This is a very interesting blog.

Clark Island Boat Works said...

i'm on coffee break so lets make this quick.

i'll get the mugs and shirts coming.

an interesting blog isn't paying the bills. this should be considered an experiment, that failed.

man, i'm in a worse mood than i thought. later.

Tower Todd said...

I'm down for a shirt. How do you know these posts aren't selling boats? It may not be immediate. I can't tell you how many crappy boat builder websites I've been to that have next to no information available. This is the best one I've ever seen! Keep it going, and they will come. I'm already scheming how I can sell my current love affair and replace her with a DE'er.

Anonymous said...

The console looks like it came out nicely. You could always use the space underneath in the front for some switches, etc. Tell the owner to do a pop up electronics pod in front of the helm pod. That would be real slick and give a nice clean look when closed.