Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Working" on Vacation.

Still in Hull, rolling the dice that the weather is going to let us leave tomorrow. The trip down was uneventful, the kid cried for a couple of hours, I ran a red light, normal stuff. A boat owner in Marshfield (15 min away) contacted me at the shop on Thursday about some zincs he need for his boat. Since I was going to be in the area I offered to deliver the zincs. Customer relations is the 4th most important part of this business. Before you ask......
  1. Know how to build boats
  2. Have a place to build boats
  3. Know how to fix boats
  4. Customer relations
  5. Know how to use the internet to maximize your exposure.
Feel free to add to or reorder this list. All I know is putting a numbered list in the middle of a post is always a winner. Someone asked about site stats and since I don't have much else to offer today.....
  1. Blog = 550 visits since Feb 11th, Ave visit 4min57sec, 2.6 pages per visit
  2. Main site = 453 visits since Feb 21st, Ave visit 4min28sec, 4.1 pages per visit
  3. Posts = 3 awesome, 7 good, 2 average, 8 below average, 2 poor, 1 awful.
  4. AdWords = 26,466 ads, 31 visits from ads, cost $5.53
  5. Business Generated = Zero, Nada, Zip, less than any.
Back to the zincs. The boat is a 42' Wesmac that we built in 2002, it used to be "Kara Lee" but since the boat has changed ownership its now "Breaker". The boat is in great shape and it was cool to meet the new owner. He was taking advantage of the weather and doing a little work on the bottom of the boat, looked like he was prepping it for paint. He had a few questions that I tried to provide answers for then I had to go the the Stop and Shop to buy a ham. That's it for the day. Slept in, ate too much, watched the Bruins lose in overtime, stayed one post behind.

Two posts on Sunday after driving 4 hours in a possible snow storm, should be my best work to date. Dan, Jeff, and John worked on the 36' Calvin (don't know what they did but they were at work). If anyone has pictures of any of our older boats please send them along. I have a large bag of photos that I'm going to start scanning in to the system and am looking for as many CIBW pics as I can get. As always thanks in advance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always admired the job you did on the former Kara Lee. What a boat! Do you have any performance data from when you launched the boat?

Tower Todd said...

Do you build the towers onsite? Great looking boat.

Clark Island Boat Works said...

i don't have any performance data from launch, all i remember is that the owner was hoping that the boat was going to go faster.

j & j marine built the tower and it took two days to install. all the wires and hydraulic hoses running up the aft legs, it was awesome. they do great work and they guys that they sent to install it were great to work with.

pcogs said...

Just got done reading your web stats and here's some food for thought. You spent less than $6 bucks so far on ad-words. I'm looking to have a boat built and I found you on google. In my business I pay $83 a lead for a sale that generates $3,400 in revenue and less than $1k in profit. At the end of the year it's well worth it.
Keep it up, it only takes one sale for zip, nada, zilch to turn into something good.
BTW- Just left contact info on your answering machine.