Friday, February 20, 2009

Dust = Work is getting done.

Get ready for some serious blogging. For those of you that tuned in yesterday many times only to see that nothing had been added, sorry. Played poker last night and blew off the Thursday post. You'll all be happy to hear that I was the big winner, easiest 50 buck I had made all week. After I get this post finished I have an interesting project that might be posted as the first ever video blog on this site. It could be interesting depending on how badly I mess it up.

Pictured is the 38' Northern Bay minutes after the holes for the air vents had been cut in. There will be two Vetus vents (www.vetus.nl) on either side of the wheelhouse. Most of the time the cubic inches of air intake would be half of the motor's horsepower. This motor's hp is 567 so it would need about 280 cubic inches of vent. The owner wanted to make sure that the engine would get plenty of air so there is 600 cubic inches of vent. At Clark Island Boat Works the customer is always right. The air will dump into the seat backs and be routed into the engine room. Delta T fans will be installed to assist in the moving of air.

This bench located on the starboard side of the wheelhouse, although primarily used for sitting, will hide the back side of the vents. It will also serve as another bunk for sleeping and hatches cut in the top will open up a large storage area. There is another bench on the other side of the wheelhouse (not pictured). This bench is made out of nidacore (www.nida-core.com), a plywood substitute. Lighter than plywood, waterproof, but much more expensive. 3/4 inch nidacore 200 bucks a sheet compared to 50 a sheet for plywood. Why does better almost always mean more expensive?

So I actually got some work done these past couple of days, with the boss back I could focus on boats and not have to worry about running the crew. Everyone is getting sick, I've managed to dodge it for a couple of weeks but my luck may be running out.

In other shop news: 36' Calvin = tank work, exhaust work, lifting rail finished, and new tank area ready for tanks. 38' Northern Bay = benches, more arch glassing, vent holes cut, steering system ordered (finally) Welding shop = fixed a shrimp cooker, started building supports for a ramp, and other metal type fabrication. 35' Repair job (I have to ask the hull style, its very unprofessional for me not to know what type of boat it is) = new windows in the trunk side, more gel on side decks, air box built in back section of wheelhouse.

Much better post than I expected, got lots done yesterday. Getting caught up one post at a time. Anyone that would like to step up for a "guest post" I would be willing to turn over the reins. Halfway home, and if I can get another post done by midnight I'll be closer to the end than the beginning. Check out the Vetus site they have lots of cool stuff, and if I'm not mistaken CIBW gets a mention on the Nida-core site.

Later.

3 comments:

Dan B said...

here is your mention:

http://www.nida-core.com/pdfs/newsletter19.pdf



nice.

They should mention you again now that you blogged about them

Clark Island Boat Works said...

good job tracking that down.

newsletter summer of 2007.

you could work for csi.

Dan B said...

I am a google ninja.