Saturday, February 21, 2009

Getting what I deserve.

In Wednesday's post I mentioned that if someone fell down at work the posts would be better. No one fell down but as you can see I did injure my eye. I'm retracting my statement about the posts being better. Its tough to type with this eye patch, plus my eye still hurts 12 hours after the initial injury. Hopefully a good night of sleep will make the pain go away. I was cutting a piece of nidacore on the table saw and a chunk of resin was launched into my eye. Subconsciously I allowed myself to get hurt so I would have something to write about. If I had more stuff to write about then I probably would have dodged the projectile.
I stomped around for a minute then went back to work building fly bridge bench tops, wearing my safety glasses for the rest of the day. Should have stayed home today and read "Where's elmo's blanket?" to the kid.

When I wasn't trying to destroy my vision I was working on the 38' Northern Bay. The benches on the fly bridge got a hatch decision from the owner this morning. Guttered hatches utilizing a three sided gutter draining to the inboard side are what the owner wants. I tried to convince him to put in plastic hatches but at Clark Island Boat Works the customer is always right. The tops were already made so I was able to jump right in to the project.

The tops are nidacore and after the hatches were cut-out all the raw edges had to be banded with spruce/pine so they could be rounded and fiberglassed. Dan and I discussed how to attack the gutter and we decided to either have John make an aluminum gutter or get some structural fiberglass tube and modify it into a usable gutter. This is tough to visualize, I'll take a photo of the hatches in the morning and add them to this post.

We were going to perform a stress test on the arch but not enough people showed up for work. I was working above the arch all day and I think that the amount of deflection is acceptable. If the crew can brave the snow on Monday we'll do the test then. In other shop news: John finished the ramp brackets, Dan cleaned up the mess we made when we tore the deck out of the 36' Calvin, Dan Jr. glassed the hatch covers that I made and gelled the benches in the wheelhouse. Slow day at the shop but we did make a little progress.

The website might have lead to a possible boat sale!!! A guy in Maryland wants a skiff. I would be more excited if he was ordering a 42' pleasure boat but still its cool that my efforts might turn into actual business. This post is done. Staring at the screen is causing me eye pain. Thanks for your concern I'll be more careful from now on. 13 posts to go.

4 comments:

Dan B said...

wow..... you see a doctor? you're not going to lose vision or anything are you?

Or maybe you'll get to wear a monocle.. that wouldn't be so bad... I like this one:

http://www.nearsights.com/classic-silver-monocle1.html

Clark Island Boat Works said...

sweet monocle. i would probably black out the glass and use it as an eyepatch. no pain this morning, just a little blurry. by monday i'll be back to 20/20. doctors are for pregnant ladies and little kids.

rockfish said...

Guy in MD wants a skiff, huh? I didn't know my wife ordered me one for my birthday, and you're just pretending it's a guy. She's such a babe and a good wife to boot. Heck she actually let you guys build one boat for me....

Clark Island Boat Works said...

rockfish what are you doing wasting time reading this crap after midnight??

guy named dorsey owings.

i sent him some pics, we'll see if anything happens.