Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunday Spotlight: Temperance

Because we rarely get lots of work done on Sundays I am going to use the last day of the week to spotlight a completed boat. Also technically this post is about 8 hours late, I was going to write it last night but fell asleep, sorry. My commitment to the blog isn't as intense as some of you might have been led to believe.

Name: Temperance (in photo)
Hull Style: 42' Mussel Ridge
Motor: 525 hp Lugger
Genset: 6 KW Northern Lights
Fuel Capacity: 700 gal
Water Capacity: 225 gal
Holding Tank Capacity: 40 gal
Air Conditioner: 2 Flagship Marine Units (18,500 BTU w/heating element)
Batteries: 4 8d Deep Cycle
Windlass: Lighthouse Stainless Steel "Super Windlass"
Anchor: Rocna 33

Looking at this list I'm not sure if this is the correct way to "spotlight" a boat.

The guy that owns Temperance found our company online and contacted me via phone, after 3 or 4 lengthy phone conversations a trip to Maine was planned where he was going to look at a couple of different boat shops. I tried to show the strengths of our shop, the quality, the highly skilled staff, and the cutting edge technology. However I made the sale by treating the client to lunch at Miller's Lobster Wharf. Long story short.......I invested 19 dollars to make a $400,000 sale. It is this type of risk taking that has made us a successful business for the past 28 years.

This boat is arguably the greatest boat that we have ever built and the owner was a pleasure to work with. During his trip back to Maryland after the boat was completed I was contacted by 3 interested parties in similar boats, unfortunately none of these projects ever moved past the speculation stage. I should have sent them all lobster rolls via FEDEX. (that is two uses of via in this post for those of you keeping count)

I think that the Sunday Spotlight will be more background story on the boat and less boring listed details. If the subscribers have a problem with that then please send me an email or leave a comment.

Actual work that happened today: Jeff, Dan, and I phillycladed the deck of the 38' South Shore. Phillyclad is a cement-like grit that can be rolled onto fiberglass deck to provide traction in wet conditions. More details on phillyclad in later posts.

One late post, strike one, my bad. Realistically it will happen again. 13.33% of my 30 post promise is now complete.

2 comments:

Dan B said...

What is that boat used for now?

That must have been one hell of a lobster roll!

Clark Island Boat Works said...

the boat is used for sport fishing and for family vacations. i send the owner a link to the blog, he emailed me that it was the most expensive free lobster roll he's ever had.