Thursday, February 12, 2009

So easy to destroy a boat.

This would be the worst time to walk into the middle of the operating room. All the plywood has been removed and the crossbeams have been cut to get to the leaking stainless steel fuel tanks. Everything under the deck is coated with a fuel/soot/slime mix, clean up begins tomorrow. This deck probably took a long time to build its a shame that we removed it in two days. The fuel tanks have been drained but they are tied into the boat with two-part expanding foam. Foam is no match for a crowbar so the tanks should be dislodged early Friday morning. There are stickers on the top of both tanks with the company's name that built them along with this, "Satisfaction Guaranteed", the owner of the boat should be contacting them about the two leaky tanks. I didn't include the name of the company that built the tanks because I wouldn't want anyone pointing out all my mistakes.

The wet exhaust was simple to cut out, the hole in the hull will need to be patched. I had the welder look at the exhaust elbows and after he stopped laughing he made a plan for routing the new stainless steel dry exhaust.

All the fuel lines have been removed from the tanks and labeled, however some of the lines might need to be replaced depending on their condition. So far so good, nothing unexpected, but problems are certain to develop, they always do. I am addicted to using commas, I use them way too much, and I usually use them incorrectly, react to my statement.

In other shop news: The support arch on the 38' Northern Bay was submitted and given the green light. Full speed ahead on the arch in the morning. Because the owner lives in Georgia I drew options of what I thought the arch should look like and sent him a picture via the interweb. He then printed the picture and drew another line and sent it back to me. How did decisions ever get made before the internet? That arch decision would have taken 2 weeks and 6 postage stamps.

Thanks to one of my subscribers now I'm tracking the traffic to the blog (using Google Anayltics). Nine views today, very strong. I would take the time to list you all individually here but I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone. My goal for the next 10 days is to get the number up to 30 views. So tell your friends.

Also, I think that I am using the "Labels for this post" box incorrectly. I've been labeling them number 1, number 2, 3, 4, etc... I think I'm suppose to be labeling them with words that say what the post is about (boats, fuel tanks, motor, etc) Good thing only nine people are looking.

4 comments:

Dan B said...

Here are your mistakes:

1) using tags incorrectly
2) using too many commas
3) admitting that you make mistakes.

Good post.

Why were the elbows funny?

Saklob said...

There, now you have a follower. It makes sense that your first follower has a boat in the shop.

So why were the exhaust elbows laughed at? Did your welder consider their feelings!

rockfish said...

Even though my boat isn't in the shop at present I couldn't resist being your 2nd follower. I'm amazed you're keeping up with this, even with the boss gone. I think you need some sort of boat-like blog name, rather than just the company name. Or have I missed it? Don't worry about the commas, they don't worry about you!

Clark Island Boat Works said...

three comments on one post!!!

its official my blogging skills have surpassed my boatbuilding skills. unfortunately i don't get paid to blog.

1. the elbows were funny because "my 7 year old daughter could have made this exhaust" -john myers (staff welder)

2. boatbuilder X, captain boat blog, the mad fat boat killa?? any of those might be possible blogging handles.

36 views by at least 16 unique visitors. viva la clark island!!!!!