Monday, February 9, 2009

Steering Issues

One of the things that I tried to accomplish today was to order the steering system for the 38' Northern Bay. You would think that this would be a simple task, it was not. Let me first say that Kobelt is an excellent company and all issues that I ran into were my fault. Again let the record show that Kobelt rules and I would recommend their products to anyone. 95 percent of our boats are fitted with Kobelt control heads and we've always been happy with the performance.

So the steering system for the 38' Northern Bay was never really set in stone. The brand of manual steering system wasn't decided on until very recently. Anyway, once the owner decided on going with Kobelt he contacted the company and talked with Don Zane. All the important information was provided: size of vessel, size of rudder, speed, desired turns of the wheel, etc... (putting etc at the end of the list would fall into the "glossing over things" category)

I contact Mr. Zane to check the status of the order and he tells me that he already has a quote ready to rock. During our conversation I hear that the boat speed is 22 knots. The top speed of the boat will be closer to 27-29 knots and I ruin everything by telling this to Mr. Zane. "Well that's going to change a few things let me work the numbers and get back to you." (anything in quotation marks is just an approximation of what was said)

Within minutes I receive two faxes: one with the original quote and the second quote with the longer hydraulic cylinders and different helm pumps. Through another phone call with Zane he assures me that the first system that he quoted won't work for this boat. Fine. the second quote is only 350 dollars more and should be just the thing were looking for. I call the owner and explain the changes: how the longer cylinders are needed for added torque and the variable helm pumps will give the user adjustment. "The first quote had fixed helm pumps on it, and I don't see the need for variable." (that was the owner of the 38' Northern Bay, again not really what he said)

For the rest of this I'm not going to explain myself at all.

The longer cylinders can't be used with a fixed helm pump.
Call the owner on Friday, tell him all the details, we'll get it solved by Tuesday.
Zane is leaving for a boat show on Wednesday.
On Monday the owner calls Zane to order the parts, speeding up the process by paying with credit card.
The parts don't get ordered and I'm back on the phone with Zane.
A measurement of the lazzerette show that the longer cylinders won't fit.
Shorter, but larger cylinders are quoted, with larger helm pumps.
This quote is 2400 more than the previous quote.
I call the owner, then call Zane, then I call the owner, then Zane, etc....
Compromise to the 3rd quote cylinders, and the 2nd quote pumps.
Rethink my original measurement of the lazzerette.
Accomplish nothing.

It is possible that the equipment on the second quote will work, a couple of modifications might need to take place but I'm confident that in the end things will work out. I would like to again throw my support behind Kobelt and thank Mr. Zane for his time and patience.

Actual work that happened today: 38' Northern Bay: fiberglassed the inside and outside of the benches on the flying bridge, sanded some of the fiberglass work that we did last week, started building the arch for the back of the wheelhouse. Boat with the new motor: tied up more loose ends (speakers, lights, cables, oil pump, oil crank case, heater hose manifold, etc....(3 times))

Two post in one day, back on track. Are these posts getting longer? I don't read them so I really have no idea. Boat from Rhode Island arriving tomorrow, needs lots of work. This almost guarantees stuff to blog about for the next 25 days.


4 comments:

Dan B said...

Sounds like you need a secretary... you'll probably need a second one to keep track of your fan mail pretty soon.

Clark Island Boat Works said...

you want the job?? considering your my entire fan base if you were on payroll i think that would be a conflict of interest. i was going to post a picture of a smashed phone but i though it came across as too violent.

Finnskie said...

Why Manual steering????

Vibration?

Sounds like
to much horse power to go manual.

What do I know, I live in Mass.

Stick with what works.

Kobelt controls are the best.

Clark Island Boat Works said...

why manual steering?

the customer is always right.

these questions are much too easy.