Sunday, June 28, 2009

Guest Blog: Matt Finn

38' Holland finished by Matt Finn and Clark Island Boat Works.


My shop is in Lynn, MA. I have finished ten new lobster boats to date. Most of the boats I finished myself, I fish them for a season then sell them.

This project was different, the owner was a local guy who aw all of my boats and wanted on e as a pleasure boat for his family. We finished it over two winters, finished off bare bones so he could use it for season #1 and decided how he wanted to finish off the interior. This is what we came up with, full mahogany interior with a teak deck. Notice the rounded corner that forms the head, there is a quarter piece of PVC pipe glassed to plywood which I then covered with a mahogany veneer.

The Holland is powered with a 480 hp. Cummins which pushes "Caroline" to 26 knots. She holds 300 gallons of fuel and 60 gallons of water. She has a 2-1 ZF. gear turning a 2" shaft with a wet keel. The transom door and the swim platform are a must for family fun. The pot hauler is just for hauling the anchor, there will never be any bait aboard. All the hardware is bronze to give the boat that older look. The pot hauler is the only stainless steel on the boat, the owner would love me to find an old bronze unit.

Clark Island built and glassed the benches and the engine box. They did all the metal work including all the bronze fabrication. Everything they do is well thought out, take a close look at the radar mast. They are the best in the business and they take care what goes out the door.


I included some of my "Mitchell Coves." I have owned 5 of them. (35's and 32's)


Thanks Matt, I needed a break. I don't know if I would say that the boat was "finished" by Finn and CIBW, we just supplied some parts. Your woodwork is sick and I'm glad that you only have a one man crew or else you would probably be putting us out of business. Not bad for your first blog attempt, welcome to the 20th century.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great looking boat!!

what would something like that cost?

ballpark figures........